By applying for lessons with The Music Service you agree to the following terms and conditions.
For the purpose of this agreement a ‘term’ refers to a three term academic year: autumn, spring and summer.
- 30 lessons will be delivered per school year. Due to the uneven length of school terms the number of sessions offered in each term may vary
- We will continue to deliver lessons each term until you tell us in writing you wish to cancel lessons. 5 weeks’ notice is required to stop lessons
- Please see below for the cancelation process and notice period
- The length of a group lesson changes according to the number of pupils in the group.
A group of 2 students = 20 min lessons, 3 or 4 in a group = 30 mins and 5 or 6 in a group = 40 mins
- For group/paired lessons, the teacher will decide the appropriate grouping of students, depending on the number of students requiring lessons, their standard of playing and compatibility of instrument. Therefore the length of a group lesson may go up and down at any time and without notice if the student moves between, eg, a group of 2 and a group of 3 student. The Music Service will not normally notify parents/carers of these changes as the lesson type is being delivered
- If a group drops below the minimum number of students (2), the Music Service will endeavour to teach the remaining student in another appropriate group. If a suitable group cannot be found, the lesson type will need to be altered and the necessary fee increase paid. This will be discussed with the parent/carer before any changes are made
- Whilst we aim to keep consistent lesson days, times and teacher, sometimes changes are necessary. The Music Service reserves the right to change the teacher, lesson times and groupings where necessary and will notify parents and schools of any changes to those lesson arrangements
- Teaching will normally take place during the school day, but some tuition may take place before or after normal school hours, as well as during break and lunch times
- Whilst every effort is made to accommodate a child, occasionally a place may not be immediately available when you apply for lessons. In this case, the child’s name is added to the waiting list. Parents will be notified when a place becomes available and of alternative options to consider (eg an individual lesson when a group is not available)
Cost of lessons
- The advertised cost of lessons is per school term (3-term year). Invoices are sent three times per year, before tuition for the term starts.
- Payment must be made within 14 days of the invoice date. Lessons will be suspended or cancelled if payment is not made on time. Fees remain payable for any lessons missed if tuition is suspended due to non-payment.
- Please see the website for current charges.
- It is the responsibility of the student to arrive on time for lessons.
- The Music Service will not refund missed lessons where:
– The student has failed to arrive for a lesson
– Parents or pupils elect to miss lessons to take part in other events
– The student is not available for any reason e.g. illness, self-isolating, school trip, appointment elsewhere, school closure for bad weather
- The Music Service will make every effort to reschedule lessons where possible, but cannot guarantee to do so.
- The Music Service will re-schedule missed lessons where:
– The music teacher is unavailable
– A student is away from school due to a long-term illness. A doctor’s certificate will need to be supplied.
- Refunds will only be made at the end of the academic year. This allows time for missed lessons to be made up in a later term
- If a student chooses to end lessons before the end of the year, any discrepancy between the number of lessons offered and the number paid for will be invoiced or refunded as appropriate
- A Student is assumed to be continuing with lessons unless notice of cancelation is given in writing
- Notice must be given to the Music Service office in writing (post or email), not to the teacher or school
- 5 term-time weeks’ notice is required for cancelation of all lessons
- When notice is received you will be invoiced for a further 5 weeks’ worth of lessons whether or not lessons are attended. If payment has already been made for more than 5 weeks of lessons then a refund will be made for the balance of lessons already paid
- Fees must be paid within 14 days of the invoice
- Invoices will be issued via email. Please monitor your email spam folder
- Tuition may not commence until payment has been made
Assistance with fees
- Some schools offer assistance with the cost of tuition, usually for pupils in receipt of income-based Pupil Premium funding. Parent/carers should inform the music service if they are eligible for assistance and we will liaise with your school on your behalf.
- The level and criteria for fee assistance varies between different schools. We will advise you of the policy for your school when you apply.
Children in care (Looked after children)
- If the child is in local authority care all provision/hire is free. If this applies to your child, please inform the music service directly. Please note that lessons for children in care are normally offered as group lessons.
- Students will need tutor books for their lessons. Parents/carers are responsible for purchasing books promptly at the request of the teacher. Other costs such as entry for examinations (which are not compulsory), will also be charged to the parent/carer.
- Parents are expected to provide instruments and accessories. Parents are advised that instruments should be insured under an “all risks” policy.
- Some instruments can be hired through the Music Service dependent on availability. Please apply for instrument hire through our registration portal and we will let you know if your chosen instrument is available.
- The Music Service does not accept liability for damage to or loss of an instrument left in a school, or during a lesson